Reduced Body Fat, Better Blood Sugar Control and Improved Heart Health Are All Benefits of Riding Electric Bikes
FOUNTAIN VALLEY, Calif., Oct. 5, 2016 — Baby Boomers (born between 1946 and 1965) are a vigorous generation that started the fitness craze with fun exercise activities such as aerobics with Richard Simmons’ “Sweatin’ to the Oldies” and Jane Fonda’s videos. This generation has vowed to stay young forever, and they have a new fun way to do it that delivers exercise disguised as fun — riding electric bikes.
A study conducted by the University of Colorado, Boulder (European Journal of Applied Physiology, May 2016), reported that electric bike riders were healthier and more fit, with significantly greater aerobic fitness and better blood sugar control, and overall had less body fat than those people who previously had not been exercising much.
Participants in the study also reported finding the riding to “be a blast,” according to William Byrnes, the study’s senior author and director of the university’s Applied Exercise Science Laboratory. “It’s exercise that is fun.”
Test Ride a Pedego to See How They Give Riders “Exercise Disguised as Fun”
“Eighty percent of our customers are Baby Boomers who are fueling today’s electric bike revolution with their quest for fun, exciting exercise,” said Don DiCostanzo, CEO of Pedego Electric Bikes. “Electric bikes are the great equalizer for couples and friends, allowing them to stay together during rides as they can use as little or as much electric assist as they’d like.”
Benefits of electric cycling for Baby Boomers and just about everyone include:
- Look and Feel 10 Years Younger — Studies have shown that regular cyclists enjoy the general health of people approximately 10 years younger.
- Lose Weight — Cycling can burn 500 calories per hour, helping cyclists lose or control their weight while improving their fitness.
- Reduce Risk of Disease — Cycling can help reduce blood pressure and cholesterol and can even help fight cancer, diabetes and heart disease. In fact, studies indicate that riding 20 miles per week may reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease by up to 50 percent, and “habitual” cycling can reduce the risk of developing Type 2 diabetes by 20 percent, with more hours cycling correlating with an even lower risk.
- Boost Your Immunity — Regular cycling boosts a body’s defenses by up to 50 percent. You’re not just cycling; you’re riding away from germs.
- Reduce Stress — Cycling reduces stress and promotes relaxation. In fact, studies have shown that regular exercise helps alleviate mild depression and anxiety.
- Move Ahead of the Pack — Commuting by electric bicycle is one of the easiest ways to fit exercise into your daily routine because it doubles as transportation while still allowing you to arrive at work fresh and not sweaty — plus, it’s green. And fun!
Pedego Electric Bikes is the Number 1 electric bike brand in the United States, according to a new report from Navigant Research. Pedego manufactures 10 high-quality, innovative models, including cruisers, tandems, commuters, fat-tire bikes, mountain bikes, cargo bikes and a convenient electric folding bike. Sold at more than 85 Pedego-branded stores and hundreds of independent electric bike dealers worldwide, Pedego’s stylish “pedal or not” electric bikes boast powerful, whisper-quiet motors that let riders sail up hills and breeze through headwinds with a smile. Available in hundreds of color combinations, Pedego electric bikes deliver a green alternative for transportation, exercise and recreation — transforming lives with fun and delight. Founded in 2008, Orange County, Calif.-based Pedego inspires riders to say, “Hello, Fun!”
# # #
Teri Sawyer, T&Co.
Sandra Eckardt, T&Co.